A low calorie look at life, writing and cake.

Friday 11 October 2013

New Book Baby!

Tomorrow, 17th October, my second book ‘Younger, Thinner, Blonder’ comes out and I’m excited, delighted ... and very scared.
After two years of writing and rewriting, my new book baby is about to be born and for any author of a newborn, the days and weeks before publication are a tortuous time. The book is delivered to those all important book critics and sometimes followed by days, weeks, even months of silence. Meanwhile reviewers slap the book’s bottom for signs of life and begin the process of prodding and poking before revealing their verdict. It’s like waiting for your baby's apgar score, or your child's first school report.  Is she healthy? Is everything in place? Is there something glaringly wrong that my editor-midwife and I didn't see on delivery? And what does the reviewer say the future holds for her?
Consequently, I've spent the past few weeks fretting that reviewers won’t love my new baby in her beautiful blue gown. A review is vital for an author, it can make your week or break your heart, sell your book or see it pulped.  Like a new mum I've had sleepless nights worrying about her; Is she likeable? Clever? Funny enough? IS SHE GOOD ENOUGH? Please like her so she can survive and breathe in that big brutal old world out there?
So, I held my breath and read that first review...

Here it is...  http://kimthebookworm.blogspot.co.uk/

2 comments: