A low calorie look at life, writing and cake.

Tuesday 29 March 2011

Not Writing But Drowning!

So my first book is out in July and I am so excited. After working on Fat Girls and Fairy Cakes for ages I finally finished the hundredth edit in December and gave myself a Christmas break. Well, I deserved it - I’d already made a start (sort of) on Book Two. I was utterly exhausted from the whole process of sitting in front of my pink laptop, drinking coffee, eating cake and mixing pre-Christmas cocktails (all at the same time, it’s a talent).

But I was ready for 2011 and in January I would diet like a supermodel and slave over that lap top, stopping only to consume celery and black coffee. I'd soon complete novel two and be a size ten, but hey, it was January, the sales were on and the girls were texting and calling for me to join them at the sales in retail establishments throughout the West Midlands. “There’s 50% off those shoes you wanted,” they screamed down the phone. I tried hard not to think about discounted shoes and Starbucks’ fixes of cake and cappuccino. I hid my phone and hoped the crunching of celery would drown out their incessant textual demands but after two whole hours they couldn’t be ignored and – call me weak - but I did it for them. I shopped long and hard with the girls, without a thought for myself. Consequently, time and cake were eaten up and writing was out of the window as was a size ten body. Boy was I glad to see the back of January and all that exhausting non-dieting/writing-blue-cross-half-price-cake-consuming-retail-hell!

February arrived with a bump and it’s Valentine’s Day so I start planning luscious cupid cakes for the love of my life - oh and my husband! Forensic fairy cake planning takes several weeks of research. It was tough and writing sadly had to take a back seat once more – but I persevered and produced the lightest red velvet sponge with big sugar heart decorations – delicious! Then, one evening as I neared the pink laptop with an overwhelming urge to write, the doorbell went. It was the girls popping round to drink wine and sample my lovelorn fairies. This left me with no choice but to spend the following few days nursing a hangover and baking (the cure all for everything). This obviously took up most of February - so through no fault of my own once more my writing was thwarted....


March came in like a lion - so much to do - checking out blogs, Googling everything I could think of, drinking coffee, cleaning, ironing, drinking more coffee, washing the walls, cleaning in between the bricks... mastering choux pastry....eating choux pastry. When the house was spotless everything ironed and cakes were coming out of every kitchen orifice, I realised my next priority was to make cyber friends. This was relentless... and took weeks of toil! My new bcff’s (best cyber friends forever) blogs now had to be read every day (cyber etiquette) before I could even start my own literary work. I had so much on my ‘To Do’ list the novel was not even on my radar .... one has to prioritise.

Anyway – it’s almost April  and no more excuses... except Easter... ok and bunnies and simnel cake.....ooh and googling people I haven’t seen for years... and let's not forget obsessive Facebook checking and relentless tweeting of my own inane comments.

I need to compile an April ‘To Do’ list before I can even go near my pink laptop because I’m so exhausted from thinking about not writing. Nothing else for it I need to take April off...

And that’s ok because I just know that in May I’ll eat 1000 calories a day lose a stone and sit at my laptop from 9 -5. No problem!

No comments:

Post a Comment